Embedded Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA
Loft Orbital’s mission is to make space simple for organizations that need to collect information about the Earth. We operate rideshare satellites where multiple customer sensors are flown on a single spacecraft platform.
Loft Orbital is hiring Embedded Software Engineers to join our Payload Interface and Control Unit (PICU) team. Here, you will be helping build Loft Orbital’s standard interface that enables us to host and operate a wide range of payload types.
The PICU is a flight hardware unit with a high reliability and continuous operation profile. It provides hardware, firmware and software based functionality that involves the physical and protocol level interfacing with different payloads/instruments on one side and the satellite platform on the other.
Since high flexibility and versatility play an important role, the PICU is quite software-centric and supports on-ground and in-space re-programmability. Loft Orbital will be utilizing the latest technology available for the PICU, which includes a mix of existing and next-generation component and processor technology.
- Scrappy and inventive: what you will be building has never been done before
- Prepared to be challenged and sometimes work out of your comfort zone
- Willingness to be accountable, autonomous, and take full ownership of projects
- Preferably experience with software/firmware developed for safety-critical applications or software developed for aerospace
- Awareness and understanding of mission-critical systems and related software impact
- A preference for agile yet process-controlled software
- Ability to code and document (wherever possible electronically and in-line) in a structured way
- Ability to work both independently as well as part of a multi-disciplined team
- Ability to learn and adopt to new technologies
- Demonstrable history of thinking outside-the-box, without losing sight of reality
- Experience working in both a Windows and Linux environment
- 4+ years of experience in C and C++ and preferably one other structured language (non-scripted)
- Experience with RTOS and time-critical software development
- Experience with local and remote debugging concepts and tools
Nice to Haves:
- Experience with SEU mitigation mechanisms
- Preferably experience with hypervisor and/or container virtualization techniques
- Experience with hardware interfacing
- Preferably experience in device driver and BSP development
- In-depth knowledge of different processor technologies such as: ARM, PPC, LEON, OpenRISC, SoC processors
- Affection with upcoming processor technologies such as GPGPU / MPPs
- Preferably knowledge and understanding of MPP/GPU processors and related development (CUDA / OpenCL)