Mechanical Engineers (various levels)
Halo Industries has invented a technology to replace a decades-old semiconductor material slicing process that wastes billions of dollars annually.
Halo’s laser-based technology eliminates this waste, delivering improvements in both material cost and performance, while enabling manufacturing advancements in a diverse set of high-growth applications markets, including the automotive, grid infrastructure, telecommunications and power electronics sectors. Halo originally spun out of Stanford University in 2014, acquiring a significant A round of VC funding in 2020 following the successful demonstration of the company’s precision material slicing equipment.
Halo is currently defining the foundation for its planned volume manufacturing operations, building a passionate team to meet its next milestone of deploying the company’s first fully integrated production line. Halo Industries is well-funded, engaged with strategic customers, and staged to achieve rapid operational, revenue, and valuation growth.
The evolution of Halo’s technology and equipment, growing from an R&D focus to a production manufacturing environment, has triggered the aggressive growth of the company’s Mechanical Engineering team. Halo is adding multiple engineers of various experience levels to the team, including positions with project and team leadership responsibilities. Candidates for Senior or Lead Engineering positions should have previous project and/or people leadership experience.
Candidates for all positions will generally have the following job responsibilities:
- Design, build, and test high-precision electro-mechanical R&D and production manufacturing equipment, starting from initial process conceptualization through to production deployment on factory floors
- Work with fabricators, using DFM principles to achieve economical designs
- Work with external vendors to integrate off-the-shelf hardware with custom-designed components
- Conduct root cause analysis of test failures and production issues to improve performance
- Work in a small team, and contribute to the implementation of next generation high-tech materials manufacturing equipment Preferred Education & Experience
- Senior/Lead Engineer: Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering with 10+ years of applicable experience
- Mid-level Engineer: Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering with 5+ years of applicable experience
- Junior Engineer: Recent Bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering Candidates with Masters and PhD degrees may qualify for a given position with fewer years of experience.
What We’re Looking For Experience and skills in the following areas are desired:
- Strong CAD modeling proficiency (preferably Solidworks)
- Strong hands-on experience designing, assembling, and testing equipment across a variety of engineering disciplines, particularly industrial and manufacturing equipment
- Strong experience with and broad knowledge of mechanical mechanism design
- Proficiency with GD&T principles and standards and experience performing tolerance stackup analysis
- Proficiency with engineering properties of materials and structural members, including mechanical and thermal properties
- Structural and thermal FEA experience
- Experience designing tight-tolerance electro-mechanical systems (opto-mechanical systems is a plus)
- Familiarity with precision engineering concepts such as micropositioning, kinematic design, dynamic system analysis, thermal compensation, etc.
- Hands-on fabrication/prototyping experience, such as machining and additive manufacturing – knowledge or experience with forming, welding, molding and casting a bonus
- Outstanding detail-oriented analytical, creative, and problem-solving skills, with the ability to think critically to diagnose issues and optimize complex processes
- Ability to work self-sufficiently with minimal oversight
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively within an interdisciplinary team
- Desire to play a ground-floor leadership role in a high-growth environment Bonus
- Experience designing and integrating wafer/semiconductor handling systems into automated production tools
- Experience in machine design for high precision industries (i.e. semiconductors, imaging, life sciences)
- Expertise in mechatronics/automation design (motor sizing, actuator design, sensor selection, etc.)
- Past startup experience and insights/lessons learned on effectively scaling from R&D to production