San Carlos, CA
VastBiome is an engineering-first drug discovery company mapping out the most comprehensive, clinically annotated, gut metabolite knowledgebase and microbial sourced chemical library to build best-in-class therapeutics for immunological and neurodegenerative disorders. We are building a high throughput AI discovery platform powering microbe-derived therapeutics from sample collection to drug programs. Core to our approach is annotating the microbial biosynethetic gene cluster (BGCs) network, groups of co-located genes that produce specialized metabolites (bioactives) with possible therapeutic effect. These BGCs unlock access to a virtually limitless, naturally occurring chemical space to use as starting points for drug discovery. We are venture backed, have multiple biopharma collaborations, and are actively recruiting for one of the largest microbiome-cancer longitudinal studies in the world.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
We are seeking an enthusiastic thinker who will perform immunology and molecular biology assays for the development of Vastbiome’s Discovery Platform. The candidate will utilize a variety of methods to prepare and analyze human and mouse samples. With the help and guidance from a well-established team of scientists, the candidate will conduct novel research at VastBiome’s lab space at MBC Biolabs in
San Carlos, CA.
- You’re a scrappy, ‘roll up your sleeves’ kind of person
- You care deeply about making a difference in the world
- You are comfortable working on a distributed team and desire a job with high level of personal agency
- You get the job done
- You communicate effectively and in a respectful manner
- Ensure clinical samples are promptly prepared, aliquoted and stored in a standardized format.
- Execute ELISA and MSD assays to detect cytokine levels from cell culture supernatants and body fluids.
- Design and produce RT-qPCRs assays from cell culture lysate.
- Work in sterility (Tissue Culture (CT) room) for the isolation of human peripheral blood mononuclear cells (PBMC), cell culture of primary human and mouse cells, and immunological assay development.
- Organize sample information and data collection in Google Sheets or Excel files.
- Assist with ordering and tracking laboratory supplies and performs routine technical tasks
- Bachelor of Science degree in the life sciences or a related discipline
- Fanatical attention to detail, and commitment to the reliability of research and work output
- Ability to prioritize and deliver research in a fast-paced, milestone-driven environment
- Outstanding presentation and communication skills
- Proficiency with Google Sheets and/or Excel is a must
- Team-player who can work independently and perform repetitive tasks with accuracy and precision.
- Experience working in a laboratory environment
- Experience in cellular immunology, molecular biology, tissue culture
- Must be open to change and the unknown with a creative and resourceful nature; a self-starter, proactive and results-oriented with high performance standards
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- 401K plan
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance 100% covered
- Flexible vacation policy
- Science/tech talks and happy hours
- VastBiome believes that incredible science can only be built in a diverse, equitable and inclusive environment. Every applicant is welcome, and minoritized communities are especially encouraged to apply.
From $40,000.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Monday to Friday
- COVID-19 considerations:
- We work in a communal biotech facility where COVID-19 precautions are taken very seriously and followed by all members.
Laboratory Experience: 1 year (Preferred)